Search This Blog

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Cabbage and Blue Cheese Salad


I came up with this salad recently--I was inspired by two types of salad. The first is two Asian salads that I very much like--Vietnamese Chicken Salad, which is easy to make and has the characteristic flavors of salt, sour, sweet, and hot that Southeast Asian cooking is so phenomenal at, and the Chinois Chicken Salad available at any Wolfgang Puck Express restaurant (one of the few places at the Denver airport that I will eat). The second is classic American salad of blue cheese dressing poured over a quarter of a head of Romaine lettuce. Start with cabbage--my preference would be for Napa cabbage sliced very thinly (and available at the Farmer's Market, even in Iowa, these days), but easy would be to get a bag of the pre-sliced coleslaw mix in a bag at the supermarket. Add to it some shredded chicken--I used an Italian chicken dish that I had left over and was searching for a way to reinvent it, but again, an easy alternative would be to grab a rotisserie chicken at the same time you are picking up your coleslaw mix. Then add blue cheese dressing slowly--just until it is lightly covered. Sprinkle in extra blue cheese if you are using a bottled dressing (which almost never has enough blue cheese for me!). It was simple, delicious, crunchy, flavorful, filling, and required few ingredients, little time, and didn't heat up the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment