Search This Blog

Friday, October 22, 2010

Finca Vigía


Visiting Hemingway's Havana suburb house was something I had heard was a 'must see' part of any trip to Cuba--and while I was personally skeptical, everyone was right. THis is a remarkable spot. Often the home of a famous person is disappointing on many levels, but there was only one aspect of this house that I found offensive--all the animal trophies on the walls. I know Hemingway was a big hunter and fisherman, and that trophies were not only a thing of his time, but also of great personal satidsfaction to him. A manhood boost, perhaps--why shooting ungulates would make one feel powerful is beyond me, but I accept that I just don't get it.

Hemingway's house is otherwise simple and spectacular--it is one story, with a wonderful layout, simple furnishings that accentuate the functional design, and with thick walls and tile floors, it has a feeling of coolness in a tropical climate. The walls are lines everywhere with bookcases filled with books, and it is a home I could move into, take down all the morbid dead animals on the walls, and live happily in. The grounds are grand and spectacular as well (a gardener would be required for that, no doubt, so not my absolute dream house, but a house I would happily dream about, none-the-less).

No comments:

Post a Comment