Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Absence of TV


Before I moved into my new house I was not a big consumer of television. The TV might be off days, sometimes a week at a time, with great regularity. But somehow I was convinced that I needed it. And I paid dearly for that belief--with the high definition cable package and the DVR that went with it, about a $100 a month--which over the course of a year adds up to real money.
So I survived, even thrived. I cut my cable umbilical chord, and entered the world of what the internet has to offer those who seek it. We know so much more about what is streaming free of charge. Lots, it turns out. In the six months that I have lived a television free existence I have no regrets. No one has mentioned anything that I wish I could have seen. I have completely missed the inevitable ad blitz of the 2012 caucus run up, and that alone is something to be thankful for. But most importantly. I have discovered other sources of film and media that are far less costly than what broadband commands to have the privilege of having it enter your home. On the cost side, I am paying under $50 a month to have a combination of DSL and Netflix streaming--plus I get a landline to boot--so I can give a phone number to those who require one for their records, and keep my cell phone number for those who are really important to me. At a fraction of what I was paying before. But it isn't just the money. I am happier being disconnected from the things that TV brings with it (I will have to find a streaming video source for the 2012 Olympics, to be sure--I do have my weaknesses, after all).

No comments:

Post a Comment