Search This Blog

Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Virtues of Polish Amber

If I were Pablo Neruda I would write on ode to amber. Sadly I lack the succinctness of a poet, and the artistry of the Nobel Prize winner from Peru, so I am working with what I've got, which is a blog post. One of the many wonderful things that I discovered on my recent trip to Eastern Europe (a trip so engrossing for me that I cannot stop writing about it) was amber. The most prevalent color of amber is a warm yellow, but it also comes in green and orange, and it is very pretty. But best of all it is ver light--so you can wear earrings that are a bit bigger than you might otherwise be able to tolerate for an 8 hour day. The Poles not only have mastered the art of amber, they have very attractive jewelry making skills. I bought a necklace and earrings in Krakow, but succombed again in Warsaw because it was so pretty. It is always fun to buy a piece of jewelry on a trip because when you wear it next you remember the place that it comes from, and Poland was a very nice trip indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment