Search This Blog

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Dear Nate Silver

I want to thank you for being a beacon of hope for those of us sitting on the edge of our chairs this past election.  I wish that I could have channeled the calm assurance that you had about how it would all turn out.

I would have been much happier in October if I could have managed that.  I watched my spouse, who had unconditional faith in you, read a book on election night.  I was sitting in front of my computer with three different web sites open, all with different percentages reporting, constantly refreshing.  I also had my calculator out for those early battleground states adding up the exit poll numbers to try to project who might end up ahead.  It was very unpleasant, I might add.  Not recreational.  I finally decided to join my adult children in a bar to watch the end results.  Which I have never done before.  Go to a bar to sweat out the election results, that is.  I wore my Obama shirt as an act of good faith (and because he is the only President that I have ever owned a shirt for--how often does it make any sense to wear that in public?  And I have four of them), but I was anxious.

The accuracy that you brought to the process is awe inspiring.  But it was also a vindication for those of us who believe that math and science bring knowledge and value to the world.  You won one for the team that believes in evolution and climate change and using math to balance the federal budget.

I bought your book as a means of conveying my thanks.  I hope I love it, but that is not the point.  It seems like the nerd equivalent of sending flowers.  Thank you, thank you thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment