Search This Blog

Monday, May 6, 2013

The Joy of Reading


Today is my sister-in-laws' birthday, and I am reflecting on all the things that I value about her--the first and foremost is that she is the very best of friends to have.  She is fun, friendly, funny, talented, kind, generous, and she would do anything you needed without hesitation.  The older I get, the more I realize just how unusual this array of talents and characteristics are.  When you are related to somebody, you really don't get much in the way of choice about them, and my SIL is a great example of when that really doesn't matter, because anyone would be lucky to have her in their family.

In addition to all of that she gives one of the very best of presents.  She sends me 4 books that she has read that she thinks that I would like.  There are several things that I like about this gift.  The first is that a good book recommendation is always appreciated, and even more so when the book is actually provided.  I am always looking for an interesting book to read!

The very best thing though is that a book from someone tells you something about what they like, and what they think you would like--it is a gift that tells you something intellectual about the giver.  That is something that is very nice indeed.  So thank you so much, Tonie, and have a wonderful birthday!


No comments:

Post a Comment