Search This Blog

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Fundacio Miro, Barcelona

My recent trip to Barcelona was a very short one, and I had two goals; eat modernist cuisine the Catalan way and to walk everywhere so that it would balance out the food part as well as reaquaint me with the city.  On a rainy afternoon my spouse and I opted to walk up to the Fundacio Miro, and oh my goodness, we were so happy that we did.  The grounds and the museum are gorgeous, with plenty of outdoor sculpture to see and beaucolic places to sit and read or contemplate (if you were there on a nicer day than I was).
Indoors there is a comprehensive collection of Joan Miro's work as well as the works of contemporary artists.  The idea for the foundation came from Miro himself, and while he certainly did an excellent job of chowcasing his own work, there is a nice selection of other artists.  More importantly, it is inspirational to be within the walls of the collection, which I think was one of the things that Miro was hoping to accomplish, to inspire people to create as well as appreciate art.  Don't miss this when you are next in Barcelona.

No comments:

Post a Comment