Search This Blog

Monday, February 3, 2014

Lobster Roll and Clam Chowder

I made a pilgrimage to Cape Cod recently on a family trip where beyond not having any personal conflicts with close family members, my only goal was to have a lobster roll and clam chowder every day.  Modest goals are those that are most easily met, and I am not one to set the food bar so high that I cannot be happy.

I grew up with New England parents, and so despite my Southern California childhood, there are some things that are just in the genes.  Lobster was a food that I learned to eat young (even though I did not much appreciate the creatures finer points until I was older--as a child, I loved to collect all the legs off all the lobsters around the table and patiently suck the meat out of each and every one of them.  I still think that is the very best meat in the beast, it is a time consuming task where getting one's fill could take some time).  The lobster roll is my absolute favorite way to eat lobster--I think the richness of the meat lends itself to a cold preparation, and the simplicity of the preparation--lobster meat and finely chopped celery tossed with a touch of mayonaise, squirted with lemon and served on a buttered and lightly grilled bun--is perfect.

Clam chowder I am more flexible about.  Very creamy or light, either is fine.  Bacon or no bacon, I can go either way.  All I ask is that the clams be tender, the potatos diced and cooked through, and after that I can be very forgiving.  It has to taste delicious, that is all I ask.  I had a better than expected success rate, almost tiring of the chowder, but I could definitely go for another lobster roll right about now.

No comments:

Post a Comment