Search This Blog

Sunday, April 12, 2020

Wayne's World (1992)

Wow.  All I can say is that while I am glad that I waited until a pandemic to watch this, I did miss a lot of allusions to it over the ensuing quarter of a century since its release.  Almost every single scene has another movie that has played a riff on it.  So while the movie itself is almost unbearably stupid, it does have a very fine ear for society as a whole, the deadly effects of testosterone (the car scene where they are all rocking out to Bohemian Rhapsody is just classic) and why men desperately need the patriarchy or women in order to succeed.  The one thing that makes it work for me is that they are clearly laughing at themselves.  I believe I am amongst the last living humans to watch this, if you haven't seen it or it has been quite a while since you have seen it, now is the perfect time.  It is perfect shelter in place fare.  Pop some pop corn and belly up to the early 1990's sensibility and prepare to laugh and shake your head in disbelief and remember where you have seen this parody again.

No comments:

Post a Comment