Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Miracle (2004)

I am still pretty uncomfortable a full week after having my eye operated on for a detached retina.  That surprises me not at all, but it has definitely had a negative effect on my reading productivity and I am looking for things to watch that do not engage my brain too much.  This movie, about the 1980 US Olympic hockey team's surprise victory over the Soviet Union team, is just that.

I am surprised that I missed this when it came out.  My kids were old enough that we were not watching absolutely every Disney film to come out (and it was before Disney Plus, when you could watch every Disney movie).  I do remember this, having been in college at the time, but still very much a fan of both the summer and winter Olympics.  The movie is largely about the college coach Herb Brooks (played in a very taciturn manner by Kurt Russell) who was hired to try to make a real stab at beating the Russians, which he did by beating them at their own game.  Very entertaining, especially if you like underdog stories.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment