Search This Blog

Sunday, October 2, 2022

Alapar, Barcelona, Spain

One of the very best meals that I have had in an adulthood that could be characterized by having above average food on a regular basis, was at a restaurant called Pakta in Barcelona in 2013. I was so disappointed when I learned, through a search for places to eat on my recent return trip, that is had closed during COVID. Then, at a meal we had at another restaurant, our sommelier recommended this, and noted it is in the same place as Pakta and with the same chef. Instead of Peruvian-Japanese fusion food it is Mediteranean-Japanese fusion food. Let me just say it was spectacular.
Maybe we were influenced by a week of eating tasting menus and making almost no choices, but we elected to allow the chef to choose our meal entirely. We put in the caveat that while we were not pescatarians and we would definitely eat dishes that had meat in them that we wanted to avoid dishes that were solely meat based. The courses that we had, about 9 in all, were uniformly delicious, beautifully plated, and the seafood was fresh and delicious.
I am not a fan of raw fish in general and this meal is the exception to that tendancy of mine. We had not one but two dishes that were raw mackeral, so not just uncooked but also a fish that I am generally not fond of--not to worry, they were both amazing, and so enjoyable that it would change what I would risk eating in the future. If you can only eat one place in Barcelona this should be the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment