Search This Blog

Saturday, April 8, 2023

Matza Balls and Musings

I love the first holidays of spring, not because of the religious significance--which is very meaningful for many people, but less so for me--but for the celebration of the season itself. It has been an easy winter for me. The darkness was less of a mood buzz kill (for reasons that escape me--I had three vacations, all to a place that was a little colder and much snowier than where I live) and it wasn't too grey or too cold. None-the-less, I love it when the days get longer, our mint and chives are back in a very tender and fragile state, and there are spring vegetables in the market. So for me, there are two foods that I cannot get enough of this time of year. The first is asparagus. I like it very simply prepared, and I could have it twice a week for the months of April and May. Our home patch is not producing at quite that level, but I like that we have one as well. The other is matza ball soup, which amazingly I do not even make myself, but it is my favorite part of the Passover meal (this year we have our usual homemade chicken stock with traditional matza balls, a vegan soup, a gluten free ball, and various combinations were served), and then I love having them every single day of the week long break from all things wheat that are not matza based. So happy spring and enjoy the bounty.

No comments:

Post a Comment