Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Molasses Cookies and My Grandmother


Today is the birth day of my mother's mother. There are two things about her that I carry forward in my life. The first is embroidered pillowcases and the second is molasses cookies. The smell of them transports me back to her Northern Maine kitchen in mid-summer and a time where picking raspberries in the backyard and eating them could solve life's most pressing problems.

Molasses Cookies
1 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. molasses
2 eggs
2 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. ginger
3 1/2 c. flour
Coarse sugar for rolling the cookies in before baking.
Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and molasses, mix throughly. Sift remaining ingredients, and add, mix until incorporated. Form dough into balls (I use a 1 tablespoon scoop) and roll in coarse sugar until covered. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment