Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Iris Restaurant, New Orleans


I spent my 51st birthday at this restaurant--my husband had phoned ahead and the table was decorated with glitter, and had a nice bottle of champagne on ice waiting for our arrival. The guide book had given the restaurant $$/$$$$ for expense and Zagats gave it a 25/30. A very respectable profile. We found the price to be truth in advertising, and the food to be exceptional. In addition, the atmosphere was very charming, with wonderful sconses on the wall that I would like to find for my own house.

We both had two small plates, and it was more than enough food. I started with a duck confit salad with beets--delicious! The duck had been browned, and set on top of greens dressed in a traditional French vinagrette. It was familiar and unusual at the same time. For a second course I had the clams with fresh pasta and andouille sausage--again, both familiar and unusual. The pasta was clearly al dente, much like what we had in Rome earlier this year--I tend to cook it a tad longer than that, but this is traditional. Both courses went well with the champagne, and we would happily return.

No comments:

Post a Comment