Search This Blog

Thursday, September 9, 2010

The New Year

L'shana tova! I am ready for the new year and ready for it to be sweeter than the last. We had our dinner in our new house, which we have by no means moved into, but it is entirely ready for us, so cooked the meal there (both ovens worked magnificently--I am unexperienced when it comes to cooking meat, so I almost managed to torpedo the centerpiece of the the meal, but avoided that disaster, and it was through no fault of the appliances!) and served it in the two front rooms of the house.
It was a small group--but all ages were represented, as befits a holiday event, and the house lent itself to dispersement--the college students in one area, the little kids in another, the adults remaining around the table, and some intermingling amongst the factions occurring regularly. I have three of my four boys in town, which is such a gift, especially when it comes to holidays (as well as crises--which can be overlapping categories!). I couldn't have pulled it off without their help.
I loved that everyone came to our new house, and that the tables looked festive and the food was plentiful, but the absolute best part of the evening was before it even started, when I was done setting tables and cooking, and just sat on the gorgeous front porch reading. I looked up as Joel pulled into the entrance, and I could watch him drive up the long driveway to the house--it seemed like estate living, where the house is so far from the entrnace to the property that it takes time for visitors to arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment