Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Let There Be Light


The thing that I love about Hanukkah is what makes it very un-green. It is the candles. Every house is obligated to light one menorah each of the eight nights of Hanukkah. Well, they may not be the most environmentally friendly celebratory vehicle, but I really do enjoy them. I'll have to do some kind of carbon footprint offset.
The light they cast is a very warm glow. When one of my sons stopped by our house the very first night, he had forgotten it was the first night of Hanukkah. He is one step out of his parents house, still used to us updating him and not yet in tune with getting the information programed into his calendar at the beginning of the year, so you don't have to keep track. We had set up half a dozen menorahs, and only lit three, so he was able to light his own, which he did immediately. It is not just me. There is something primal and appealing about the glow of candlelight. It takes me back to hearth and home, family and comfort. It is a reminder to value those that make you feel warm and secure.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I were able to light a Menorah here at Mines but there is no Hillel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next year! I have been in hospital or not feeling great most of the holiday, so missed a fair amount myself. Which is too bad for both of is!

    ReplyDelete