Search This Blog

Friday, April 22, 2016

Cinderella (2015)

There is absolutely nothing that is original to this movie.  It is a faithful rendition of the Disney animated classic of the same name, only this time with real people, but not much else is different.  Meaning that this is not 'Enchanted'.  There are no modern updates and no musical interludes.  As my youngest son said during the ball scene at the castle, "They went all 'Pride and Prejudice' on it."  The story is not approximate, it is identical.
That is a long way of saying that if you do not like the Disney version of the Cinderella story, then you should definitely skip this one.  It is for the real fans.  I have a soft spot for Disney that it most likely does not deserve, so while my spouse thought this was just boring (ie. he is not a true blue fan of the original story), I enjoyed it.  There is something that is compelling to me about the good hearted but poor woman marrying the man of her dreams and getting out from under her evil stepmother (who is played to perfection by the wonderful Cate Blanchett).  The movie is directed by Kenneth Branagh, whose work I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment