Search This Blog

Thursday, August 10, 2017

I Blinked and My Son is a Father

My eldest son was born today, almost three decades ago, and made me a parent for the rest of my life.   Somehow, in my minds eye, it was only a few short years ago that he was born, I remember it so clearly.  The moment you look at your child for the first time is indescribable.  A rush of emotion that is as complicated as it is pleasurable.  Now he has gone and made me a grandparent as well.
Parenting was not a job that I sought.  It was my spouse who was insistent that he wanted children and after years of togetherness, I finally came to the conclusion that that desire was not going to go away for him.  I warmed to the occupation after I had undertaken it, and went on to raise four boys.  Now, with almost no warning, I am finding myself very much in love with his child.  Thankfully all is well and they will surely make it through the sleepless nights and endless anxieties that are a part of bringing up baby.  But this is his first birthday as a father, and the newness of his new role has not worn off.  So happy birthdays all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment