Search This Blog

Thursday, November 28, 2019

The Art of Thanks

While the history of Thanksgiving is checkered, and its Puritan New England roots are something that directly pertain to my roots, the act of pausing to give thanks at least once a year is a good tradition.  That is something that I do not do often enough.
This photo was taken one Thanksgiving long ago and brings to mind the things that matter to me.  It doesn't matter if we celebrate today or another day (although it certainly has to have what we always have on our Thanksgiving dinner table).  Everyone does not have to be there is body, but in spirit.  Ever since my youngest had cancer as a five year old, I have had to redefine what being lucky means and what gratitude entails.  It is not about having no adversity.  We all have that sooner or later.  It started for me when my brother died when I was ten.   I learned quite quickly that life is not fair, but many many people know that far sooner in life than I.  It is about the connections we make, the people we support, and the life we lead.  May yours be true and clear, today and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment