Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Gentlemen's Agreement (1947)

Friends rented out a whole movie theater and invited 16 people to view it from socially distanced seats around the theater.  The thing that was most striking, besides the fact that my son and I downed a huge tub of popcorn and a giant soda for the first time since the Oscars, we that it was the biggest crowd I had seen in there ever.  I do not get how theaters stay in business.

This movie, which centers on a non-Jew claiming to be Jewish so that he could write an expose on antisemitism in New York City post -WWII, is so modern.  Especially if you substitute black for Jew.  Even so, there is a rise in antisemitism as well.  When the commander in chief counts himself amongst the proud boys it is bound to unleash some out in the open prejudice.  The move artfully unpeels the onion of the caste system in the US, ranging from the out and out hate speech, to withering glances, and then the subtle "I am not an antisemite but I do think I am better than the Jews".  This 70+ year old movie speaks loud and clear about America today.
 

1 comment:

  1. The Commander in Chief DID NOT count himself one of the Proud Boys. Get it right please.

    ReplyDelete