Search This Blog

Friday, November 13, 2020

Those Were The Days My Friend

In truth, I knew from the moment that college began that it would end.  No question about it at all.  In the moment though, that did not give me pause.  At that point in life four years was an eternity, and I did not look ahead more than a few months at a time.  It was a time of change and growth and firsts.

I love this picture, taken in the summer of 1981 when a group of housemates more or less impulsively drove to see the Grateful Dead in St. Paul, Minnesota and Alpine Meadows, Michigan, a venue outside Detroit.  We are pictured here outside the home of another housemate of ours who did not make the journey, where his parents put us up for the night.  Now, as a parent of children who are all older than we were here, I wonder what they made of the whole thing. I had the shortest, least curly hair in the bunch, and our mission had been just to drive and see music and drive home, where the travel time far exceeded the time we would be doing anything else.  I still have a little bit of that left in me, although with COVID that instinct has been completely walled off.  Happy Josiah Carberry Day!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment