Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Bestia by Ori Menashe

I rate this cookbook highly, but that applies only to people like me, who might get 10-20 new cookbooks a year, who really likes to cook through a cookbook, to get to know it and who has gotten to know quite a few cookbooks along the way. It is not a good book for a small collection, or someone who is new to meal preparation, and might be best taken out of the library to give it a whirl forst. It has sections that are deep rather than wide, and some aspects--like cured meats--may be great but are thus far untapped. The farro recipes are well worth making--the salads are delicious and unusual (I subbed blueberries for pomegranate and almonds for walnuts with no diminution in enjoyment). There are multiple vinaigrettes that I am having on hand this summer to see what the variety brings to my summer salads (I have high hopes for the fish sauce, the cinnamon, and the pomegranate ones to widen my horizons). The vegetable sides are delicious! Same can be said for the wealth of sherbet recipes. The pizzas dough that is leavened with sourdough starter is worth the price of the book, as is the uncooked tomato sauce and the country loaf. Do not skip the buckwheat flour in them either. It is an easy way to give a depth of flavor to your finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment