Search This Blog

Sunday, July 18, 2021

Quad City Pizza

I am not a native Iowan, but I have lived there almost half my life and for more than a quarter century. Plenty of time to have heard of an Iowan style of pizza, but when I read about Quad Cities pizza recently in Food and Wine magazine, I had neither heard of it nor had I had it. The majority of the pizza consumed during the pandemic has been made on site. We are particularly fond of the Neopolitan version, with the thin chewy crust that starts with a sourdough starter, and gets all its loft from wild yeast, but we have also made Roman pizza and Chicago style pizza (this is one that pretty much I alone enjoy). We got the special Brick cheese and made a Detroit pizza once (unlikely to be repeated), but again, no idea about the pizza that is made just down the road a piece from us. That changed last weekend when we went to one of the places where it originated. The dough is slightly sweet secondary to some malt being added, it is sliced traditionally in strips, it has alot of fairly bland cheese on it, which sits on top of all the topping, and the original is made with a very under-flavored port sausage. All I get about this is the ground pork--I did not care for it, but port is very Iowa, and so to have an Iowa pizza without it makes no dense, but stick with the Italian version! The crust was the best part is all I can say, and while we are glad we tried it, we are not going back any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment