Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 18, 2023

My Puppy Year

A little over a year ago I rather impuslively adopted a puppy. She had good genes. Her mother is an Australian Shepherd and her dad a lab. She favors her father in coloring and shape, but she is is a true mix of the two, with strong herding and retreiving instincts. She is my twelfth dog, but only my third puppy and very soon after bringing her home I realized two things: I had no recollection of any of the raising of the previous two, and I had sorely underestimated the burden it was on my child care providers. I am now silently begging their forgiveness. The year has been filled with lots of joy, many antics, and overall the entertainment has been top notch. The thing I didn't realize would happen that I love and have started doing again is being outside with her. In the winter it wasn't good for me, and it wasn't good for her either. It was so hard to have very short fur and a love of fresh air. I got her a coat to help some, but she would come in, throw herself on the heating vent, thaw out, and start the cycle all over again. Now we are back to spending time together soaking in the songs, sounds, and smells of spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment