Search This Blog

Saturday, June 24, 2023

Tokyo Ever After by Emiko Jean

I have been trying to read a little more YA literature--my granddaughters will be in the target age range before I know it, and I have enjoyed this genre, so want to beef up my portfolio. I have been gradually working my way through Reese Witherspoon's YA recommendations, and this one is a winner for me. The story is Izumi, a senior in high school who grew up in a small town in Northern California never knowing who her father was. As one of the very few Asians in her town, she often feels like she doesn't really belong there-but also knows little of her Japanese heritage either. One day while snooping in her mother's room she finds a love poem written to her mother and dated the year she was born. The signature leads to an online search that reveals her father is none other than the Crown Prince of Japan. She reaches out to her father through an old friend of his, and the next thing she knows, Izumi is whisked off to Tokyo to spend a few weeks at the Imperial Palace getting to know her father and the rest of her Imperial family. This is a fun, lively story with enough heart and humor to overcome the well-used fairy-tale, rags-to-riches storyline. Narrator Izumi's voice is genuine and funny, making her easy for teens to relate to. Romantic comedy fans will enjoy the unique settings and colorful, well-developed characters, as well as some perspective on Japan and being Asian in the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment