Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Galapagos: A Natural History Guide by Pierre Constant

This is the third book that I have read in preparation for a trip to the island archipelago, and here is what I thought. The geology of the islands, which is purportedly the thing that interested Darwin most about them, is detailed in both understandable writing as well as pictures (there are photographs as well as simple line drawings that spell it all out quite clearly. I skipped Earth Sciences in high school and never doubled back to study it at all, so if I can understand it, pretty much anyone can follow it). The other thing that stands out in the comprehensive cataloging of the flora and fauna is the extensive photographs, which help a visual person manage the large amount of data in your head. The background on why these things are significant is scanter than in other volumes on the same subject, but overall, it adds to what I have already read, and I would recommend it, especially to certain kinds of learners and those with specific interests in the Galapagos.

No comments:

Post a Comment