Search This Blog

Monday, June 24, 2024

Drama by Raina Telgemeier

I really loved this playful Young Adult graphic novel. I have been woefully under informed in this genre, which I both enjoy, and as the grandparent of two girls and a boy, I feel like I need to beef up my depth in this area. One of my role models for being successful with this goal brought this book to my attention. I am new to this author, who has several other graphic novels under her belt, has a tremendously likable and predictable style. I can see that when you open one of her books, you know it’s her. The clean, organic lines and strong color choices that sell her stories are completely fluid. They’re actually enjoyable and give life to the experience of reading her works. So that is a big help to draw the reader into the story. The thing I like this story is it captures some of the volatility of relationships in middle school, both for friendships and relationships. She has added in the reality of LGBTQ being more in the vernacular now than in hiding as it was when I was this age, and overall this has a refreshing airing of all these foibles in a refreshing way that affirms all middle schoolers lived experiences. Three cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment