Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Ode to Corn Pudding


There are several dishes that if I don't have them with turkey at least once a year, I feel I haven't had a proper Thanksgiving meal. Corn pudding is one such dish, so I made it for my pot luck today. In keeping with the original holiday perhaps (although their corn was likely to have been quite a bit different, more of a grain than a vegetable), there were quite a number of dishes on the table revolving around corn, and all in all the meal was a success.

So what is is that makes this dish so terrific?
I think it is a combination of textures and simple flavors that makes it magical--the crunch of the corn, the creaminess of the pudding, the sweetness and the savoriness properly balancing each other out, the nutmeg and the chive. It is a dish that dances well between the turkey and the tartness of the cranberry sauce.

This corn pudding is another easy to multiply ratio recipe:
1 egg
1 c. milk
2 c. corn
1/2 c. cracker meal
dash of salt, freshly grated nutmeg, and a handful of cut chives.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment