Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Where to Begin


As I said before, this is the year I became 50 years old. While it doesn’t feel the least bit momentous on the one hand, on the other I feel like it should feel momentous , that I should be reacting to this birthday. So here I am, working on that.


As I think about embarking on the second half of my life, there are two things that I love and want to retain 'as is'--despite the ups, the downs, the joys, the sorrows, the challenges and the demands. First is the five men in my life--spouse and offspring (pictured above). I literally do not have to leave my house to experience the world, because they live it and bring music, culture, art, and magic into our home. Everyday. That said, I also want to continue to spend time in and about the world around me--seeing new places, talking to people who live there, eating the food they eat. Walking around new places is my one true relaxation outside of reading.

But I find myself focusing more on how I want to live the rest of my life. What I would either like to better prepare for or out and out change. I watch my parents, who have rambled around in their too-big house for 25 years as they try to downsize in their 70’s, and I realize I do not want to start that late (thanks for teaching me that). I want to start now, to try to be purposeful about how I live, where I live, and why I am doing it this way. The good news is that at this point there is no hurry. I have the house that I have raised my four boys in, and with two of them moved out, I have a lot of room to maneuver in. That is the good news. The less clear issue is what do I want to do. I suspect this, too, will change over time, but here is where I start.

There are things about who I was ten years ago that I want to get back into my life. I have always had things that I do that are productive, because my job, while I love it, doesn't produce much in the way of tangible goods and I need to do that. Cooking has been a consistent way that I have expressed myself, as well as how I have shared with my friends, my family, and the greater community. It is a way to communicate who I am to the outside world. For me, it is very personal, but nobody really sees it that way. I am revealing a lot about myself without many people realizing it. The occasional person will have an 'aha' moment, and see that I am not all that social, but that the part of me that loves people is speaking through my much beloved macaroni and cheese.

So moving forward I want to continue to cook in an expansive way--I am not so much recapturing that part of my past, but reconnecting with the boundless creativity I had then, when I piped holly berries onto the hats of my snowmen cookies and meant it when I said it was no big deal.

1 comment:

  1. First off, let me just say that you can make macaroni and cheese for me any time you want. I'm only going to be living like 5 minutes away:) Secondly (and finally), thanks for the comment about us bringing stuff into your life. Its always nice to be reminded that you are contributing positively to someone else's life experiences.

    ReplyDelete