Search This Blog

Monday, December 28, 2009

Lessons Learned


It seems obligatory to do some kind of reflection on what has and has not been learned over the last twelve months this week, as one year winds down and another is beginning. this has been a year of change--I have a new job, and the kids have moved onward and upward in the developmental ladder, travels have been undertaken, and new places always come with new experiences.
In no particular order, and without attribution as to where the lesson was learned:
1. Figure out the right questions to ask and fact check the things that you think are important. Personally. It turns out, no one is better able to decide what you need to know than you. Sigh.
2. Look at the answers to the questions you ask. Do not take someone's word for it that things are "ok"--look at the data. This is a corellary of number one. Double sigh. May not save heartache, but it will save energy down the road. The problems surface more quickly with this method, so you don't waste time preparing answers for things that are not problems.
3. Finding time to participate in the creative side of life is time well spent. I don't do enough of it, but what I do is well rewarded.
4. Don't cross exercise out of your calendar, even for a few weeks--I did that in September, and am still trying to get it back--turns out it is hard to keep it in, but impossible to re-insert it. Don't make that mistake!
5. The time and money you spend traveling are worth the things you give up to be able to do it.
Things that have gone well this year are future focused planning, reading, cooking, and watching films--I hope to maintain all that.
What do I hope to do better next year?
1. Travel more. Less for work and more for me.
2. Parent more wisely (this will probably be on my 'To Do' list until the day I die...)
3. Exercise (see #4. above)
4. Quilt--I have been on a quilting hiatus, but it is time to put my embroidery away and start creating quilts again.

No comments:

Post a Comment