Search This Blog

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Musings on Relaxation in San Juan del Sur


I am not at all good at traditional relaxation. I am a rock star at the relaxation that comes in everyday life. I am able to savor the small pleasures. Simple charms and nuances bring immeasurable pleasure to me on a daily basis, and as I age, I feel increasingly blessed that I am able to focus (much of the time) on the good. There is plenty to be unhappy about in the world. The longer we live, the more true that becomes. However, it is what it is, and to dwell on what could have been is a recipe for disaster. I seem to be a bit drawn to the chaotic side of life, so it is merely a survival technique to focus on the good in a situation. Make lemonade out of lemons. But to actually aim at luxury and indulgence? That is not a skill I have managed expertise in.

We were pointed in the direction of the Pacific coast of Nicaragua by both natives and former visitors for a scenic and enjoyable vacation, but I was initially dismissive of a beach town. I love the ocean, but not the salt, the sun, or the sand. Could I, despite my drawbacks, really enjoy the finer points of a great view, delicious seafood, and the distinctive aromatic smells of the ocean, despite my fair skin and generally restless nature? Happily, the answer is occasionally 'yes'.

The Piedras y Olas hotel in San Juan del Sur is a memorable hotel, one of the very best for luxury that I have been in. The only close rival that I have been to is the Serengeti Migration Camp in Tanzania: http://www.africauncovered.com/photos/tanzania/tanzania/serengeti-migration-camp/1916/. At 5 times the cost. Maybe even considered cheating, since the Serengeti is so spectacular to begin with that the natural attributes of the place make it both unique and non-reproducible. In any case, this is a place for 'getting away'--just so long as you are comfortable speaking Spanish, because this is the first time I have been anywhere so clearly catering to a Western crowd that had not a person who spoke to us in English--which is not to say someone couldn't do it, but as always, we list towards what is easiest to manage rather than what is possible. So while it is possible that some of the staff could manage well in English, no one attempted to say a word of it to us, despite our clear foreign appearance and dialogue. So, si habla espanol, venga aqui. Me encanta San Juan del Sur.

No comments:

Post a Comment