Search This Blog

Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year


I am somewhere between superstitious and cautious. I wouldn't plan a New Year's dinner around 'lucky' food, but when my husband got out a chicken to roast, I felt I had to draw the line. Chickens are thought to be unlucky because they scratch backwards, and birds are to be avoided because luck could fly away. Why tempt fate? The year that has just passed was on balance a good one, but it wasn't a great one. Events over the year contained a mix of good, very good, great, but also a number of challenges and some outright bad news. So avoiding chicken seemed to be playing it safe, if not exactly rational.
Instead of fowl, I opted for a New Year's version of corn chowder--with black eyed peas and ham for good luck.

Corn Chowder

1 onion, diced
10 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. olive oil
2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 lb. corn
8 c. stock
1-2 c. milk
salt and pepper to taste
garnish with sliced scallions
Sautee onions and garlic in olive oil. Add stock, corn, potatoes and simmer until potatoes are soft (at this point I added a can of black-eyed peas, and a cup of cubed ham). Add milk, salt, peper to taste. Garnish with something green when you serve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment