Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

John Adams


This is one instance where I liked the movie better than the book.
Even David McCullough, the author, agrees. Here’s a quote:
"This is an amazing miracle considering Hollywood…My wife tells me I have to hold back in my praise for what they have done, but I can’t. It’s everything I could have dreamed for, hoped for, and then some. It’s nine hours — they didn’t try to compress everything into an hour and a half. I’ve been on the sets. I’ve been working with Kirk Ellis the whole way through. Very often, filmmakers will buy the rights to a book and then they’ll keep the author as far in the distance as possible."

Tom Hanks produced this, adding to his accolades as the premier chronicler of American history. There are inaccuracies, but the settings are lovely (almost as if the BBC had untertaken the project), the acting is incredible, and the story is faithful to the source. I cannot reccommend this highly enough. It is an easy and enjoyable way to take in the beginnings of our nation, and the challenges that were faced and overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment