Search This Blog

Friday, March 26, 2010

Los Angeles Smog


I looked out my window in Los Angeles, facing the Santa Anita mountains, and was unpleasantly surprised to see that the LA of today is the LA of my youth. It would be entirely appropriate to say, "Look, you cannot see the mountains today". I knew they were there, I had seen them the day before, but they were entirely obscured by smog. And when I mentioned this problem to every Angelino I met, they all had verious excuses for why this might occur today. No one thought it was awful.
Is that okay? I am just breathing the air for a day, they are there day in and day out. It is a reminder that you can get used to anything. The fact that there are days where the air quality precludes outdoor activity due to man's use of fossil fuel seems wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment