Search This Blog

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Roasting Beets


Roasting beets is as simple as it gets--put them in the oven that you have on for another reason. 375-400 degrees is the best, and it takes about an hour. Take them out and let them cool down before attempting to peel them (I usually fail at this step--I haven't gotten them out enough ahead of when I need them is often the case. One way to avoid this pitfall is to roast them a day ahead of when you need them. They hold beautifully in the fridge for a week). Peel and slice into bite sized pieces, and use them in green salads. I like beets and blue cheese together, which I served earlier this week. I also like beets and orange slices with an orange juice dressing. They pair nicely with toasted pecans as well. Roasting brings out the beet's rich sweetness which is hard to resist.

No comments:

Post a Comment