Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Nottoway Plantation


This was the last of four plantations that I visited on a recent trip. We made our way to this grand home, the most luxurious that we saw, after having spent the night at the Madewood plantation. The house is not just bigger than other houses we looked at but also much more plushly detailed--perhaps that is becasue it is the only house that has been continuously inhabited throughout it's history. One house we saw had a herd of cattle run through it, damaging the marble floors beyond repair (well, I would have tried to do a Gaudi-inspired mosaic, but I suspect my thoughts on decorating are not going to be much appreciated.

One highlight of the house for me was the dining room. The table was set with Sevres china (apparently this china comes in four colors: pink, blue, green, and yellow--the china of the original house was pink, but the same style as the table was set, with different scenes depicted in the center of each plate, you you might wonder which one you were eating of of tonight. I loved all the fine detail, down to the crystal knife shelves. So convenient.

The moulding around the doorways and ceilings throughout the whole first floor were spectacular. It surprises me that I think htat, because I usually uch prefer simpler lines and decoration, but these really worked with the house, and have been well preserved. They are of humble origin (mud and horsehair) but once painted add an elegant touch. I would recommend a visit, and if traveling as a couple, an overnight stay either here or at Madewood (which is more modest in price, not open as a tour house without an appointment, and dinner is included with the room).

No comments:

Post a Comment