Search This Blog

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Tie One On


I had a wonderful reunion with friends from college when I went to visit son #3 at his college for Parent Weekend. I marvel that literally a decade could pass, our children have been born and grown, our jobs have changed, but we can still sit and talk with an ease that comes from that time in life. When there is seemingly limitless time and no deadlines that really matter.

But the coolest thing was to discover a new craft business being launched by Sara King. She is taking old ties, often ugly ties, and re-making them into wine bottle gift bags. These are two that I purchased--the one with roosters on it, and a rooster charm reminded me of Cuba. The other one has a lovely enamel pin on it that perfectly reflects the color and pattern of the tie. I looked at a couple dozen of her bags, and they are clever, interesting, beautiful and functional. And made from things that might be lying in the back of people's closets, or unwanted in their jewelry boxes. She is the ultimate recycler, someone taking unwanted things, changing them slightly, and making them into something that is once again useful with out too much effort.
Tie One On can be contacted at mistreshijos@gmail.com--these are really wonderful.

2 comments:

  1. I think they are fantastic--I want to try and send her lots of raw materials--ties that we find as well as trinkets to add to them!

    ReplyDelete