Search This Blog

Friday, December 31, 2010

The Casebook of Victor Frankenstein by Peter Ackroyd


I would never have thought I would like this book, which is a retelling of Mary Shelley's classic tale. I picked it up because I enjoyed Kenneth Branaugh's film, which was another non-traditional look at the original tale. Peter Ackroyd, a new author to me, is apparently renowned for his historic novels, so he is an old hand at this sort of undertaking. The writing is fabulous, and he is a gifted storyteller, interweaving aspects of the original story into the historical context within which it was written in. This Victor Frankenstein cavorts with Lord Byron and the Shelley's, he comes to reside in the life that in fact created him. Which is a funny twist, because he does indeed bring a body back to life, and is remorseful for having done so. He does not seem to have the creator-createe relationship with him that is true in the original tale, but he does in the end decide it must be stopped, that it was a mistake.
In a review I read of this book, I was reminded that Mary Shelley was just 21 years old when she wrote her famous book. This book brings a maturity of years--both since the book was written, and the author has some gravitas himself--that makes the story all the more enjoyable. It is less of a tale of horror and more of an exploration of relationships and motivations. I recommend this, especially if you are a fan of the story, but even if you are not.

No comments:

Post a Comment