Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Scandinavian Mysteries


I feel like I did when Harry Potter ended. What next? How will I replace this in my reading life? That is how I felt after reading the last of Steig Larsson's books (I know, I know, there may be a fourth, but really, that is it). The combination of Lisbeth Salander and Mikael Blomkvist was unique and engaging. They were neither of them people I would necessarily want to have dinner with--she is too socially awkward and he is either unreactive or avunclar--not sure which--to be able to meet casually. However, both of them have very appealing traits as book-bound detectives. They are loyal. They don't seek out danger, but they don't shy away when it seems necessary. They have a moral compass--one which is not the norm in both their cases, though Blomkvist is closest--and it drives them. So I will miss them greatly.

The Milleneum trilogy is a masterpiece of the murder mystery genre--the plots of the books interweave magnificently, to the point where I wish more mysteries were written in this manner. Stieg Larsson is not the only notable Scandinavian author in this genre, and it is worthwhile reading everything Henning Mankell has written around his Wallender character. There are two film versions of the Wallender series, one done in Sweden, and a more recent version done by Kenneth Branaugh with the BBC (here is my post on them: http://homemadelemoncake.blogspot.com/2010/04/wallander.html. There are now six out on DVD, hopefully more to come). The books and the films depict a difficult, moody man who will not let go of a case. I would have dinner with him, but it might be difficult.

My favorite newcomers to the genre are both from Iceland. Arnaldur Indridason's 'Jar City' is a masterpiece--it was made into an excellent movie, and was Iceland's submission for 'Best Foreign Language Film' to the Oscar's in 2006. Erendur is a detective for the ages, and while his subsequent books haven't been quite up to the first, they are very good. The newcomer that I like best is Yrsa Sigurðardóttir. Her protagonist, attorney Thóra Gudmundsdóttir, is a complicated and interesting person that I am looking forward to knowing more about. She has only two books thus far (in English), but she is well worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment