Search This Blog

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Bossypants by Tina Fey


Tina Fey is a wonder. Women in comedy are still a rarity. She says it best when she states that comedy is the only place a white suburban girl could ever be considered as 'diversity'. This book is not so much a memoir as a statement about what the experience of being a woman in comedy is like.
She does touch on motherhood--and menstruation--some on her family of origin, and not so much on her marriage (that would have been in my contract, that is for sure--yes, you can write about your life, but keep your hands off my life. If I want to write about me, I will do so--okay, I am just projecting here, but Jeff does not appear more than a handful of times and it is not at all enlightening about how it would be to have a spouse who works such crazy hours). But is is mostly a reflection on her professional experiences. It is hilarious and in some ways enlightening. It is not a deep read, nor is it long, but it is thoughtful underneath the comic banter, and it makes you think in a pleasant way.

No comments:

Post a Comment