Search This Blog

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Big Green Egg


We have officially entered the clay ceramic grill cult. The kamado style of cooking is century's old, but it wasn't until a recent New York Times article on the Big Green Egg came out that I knew anything about it, but within a week, we had one. The thrilling thing about this grill is the high temperatures it reaches, and the retention of that temperature over long periods of time. What do I think so far?
I am not much of a griller, I don't even cook much meat at all, but I admit that this grill has been impressive to date. My husband (who is a big griller) inaugurated the grill with a stuffed pork tenderloin. The meat took on a wonderful smoky flavor and was cooked evenly throughout. The second grilling was chicken--thighs, drumsticks, and a whole chicken, all with seasoning applied the night before. The chicken was flavorful throughout, and very moist, so another success--but best of all was a pork shoulder that he put on the grill after the chicken had been cooked to smoke/cook it overnight. The temperature of the grill in the morning was 250 degrees and the pork shoulder looked fantastic--we had pulled pork sandwitched that night for dinner, which were phenomenal. I would rate this highly. I did buy the Big Green Egg cookbok, and will be reviewing that soon as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment