Search This Blog

Monday, February 13, 2012

Artisanal Cheese

Green Dirt Farm's Bossa cheese was recently featured on the vegetable menu at Per Se, Thomas Keller's upscale New York City restaurant. Keller is a phenomenal chef--his four cookbooks are works of art, and Per Se has three Michelin stars. So this is a feat, getting your cheese on the menu. It is like a stamp of approval from an internationally respected chef. So congratulations Green Dirt Farm! I recently visited the farm and saw the wonderful renovations they are doing on their cheese kitchen--it is incredible to me how much chemistry is involved in cheese making. The other thing I did there was tour the lambing rooms--at that point they had 150 lambs, and 10 were from that day--two were from the hour that I got there. Very cute, and also very well cared for. That is the thing I love about a place that is not a factory farm--the animals look happy. I left the farm with a good feeling. The hard thing is that they struggle to break even. The factory farm is the one that makes money. It is a sad thing, one that will hopefully reverse.

No comments:

Post a Comment