Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides

I love this author, and this book does nothing to change that. But this book was particularly fun because it takes place where I went to college and when I went to college. The author went to my alma mater, and graduated the year between me and my husband, so it is a marriage plot for us as well. Everything about the first 2/3 of the novel is a walk down memory lane for me. The streets, the movie theater, everything was known to me. The story itself is not a unique one--it is a love triangle. Two men love the same woman, and she loves only one of them. But it doesn't go incredibly well. That is a given. But exactly how it doesn't go well is the story and this is a good one. A main character has bipolar disorder, and the description of the natural history of it, as well as the treatment and the side effects, and the consequences of non-compliance, are all very accurately described and sympathetic. Overall, a great read.

No comments:

Post a Comment