Search This Blog

Friday, April 20, 2012

Budapest from the Danube

I am not much of a water person. Even though I grew up close to the ocean, and I do love a good beach walk, it is not vital to my happiness, nor do I seek it out. On the other hand, I have done two trips that invovled being on a river for over a week (two great rivers--the Mississippi and the Rhone) and very much enjoyed river travel. So I should not have been surprised by how much I enjoyed watching Buda and Pest from the Danube.
The first thing is that a river view is unique. You get an entirely different view of things from the water, especially when you are in a city and it is really not possible to just stand on the other bank and get the same perspective. I think the Parliament building is most spectacular from the river view. The Chain Bridge is more interesting when seen from the water than from the road.
But the thing that I love best about being in the water--whether it be on a large vessel or in my kayak--is that it is peaceful (especially when you are not paddling). Even for a brief time--we were on the Danube for about an hour, no more than that. You watch the city roll by at a leisurely pace and it gives you time to think about what you are seeing and absorb it a bit. The Danube is a beautiful river, and spending a small amount of time contemplating that is well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment