Search This Blog

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Drink Small

The very first itme that I went to the New Orleans Jazz Festival in the early 1990's I saw many wonderful shows, but the very best of them all was when I saw Champion Jack Dupree.  At the time he was about 80 years old (the exact date and year of his birth were somewhat in dispute, but he was at least 80 at the time that I saw him, from all that I can figure out), and I had never heard of him before.  He had trouble with ambulation, but once he got in front of his piano he was unforgetable.  The energy and passion that he transmitted to his music was unforgettable, and that day I learned a very valuable lesson.  Hang out in the Blues Tent--you never know what treasure is going to be playing next.  Skip the big names and the big stages--focus on the people you've never heard of and you might just discover a treasure.

And over 20 years later, following that same sage advice, I returned to Jazz Fest and the Blues Tent, and saw Drink Small, yet another fantastic 80 year old blues musician that I had never heard of who was remarkable to watch and listen to.  Jazz Fest this year was a very wet affair, and on Thursday when Drink Small played it was a drenching downpour followed by impassable mud.  But safely tucked away in the Blues Tent, under cover and well protected, I listened to his performance and marveled.  I also hope that I can bring that qualtity to things that I do when I am his age (should I get there).  If you get the chance to see him play, don't pass it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment