Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Boss Brown Art Clocks

Mark Brown and his wife Susan Boss have a studio together--he build things like clocks and robots out of found or easily acquired objects and she makes silk screened quilts.  They work in Massachusetts, but distribute their work around the country.  I received this whimsical owl clock for the holidays this year. 

Several things are noteworthy about these artists work.  The first is that the clock keeps wonderful time, so it is not jsut about art, it is also functional.  The second is that it makes me laugh almost every time that I look at it.  it is not quite as whimsical as my cuckoo clock from Switzerland, but then again, it does not need to be wound either, so it is good for a smile with very low maintenance.

The other thing that I like about the clocks this couple makes is that they use ordinary objects to create art--the fork and spoon here could havve some from the cafeteria at any one of a number of locations around the country (these are all unused, but you get my drift).  Just lots of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment