Search This Blog

Sunday, May 25, 2014

The Merrakesh Medina, Morocco

The really difficult thing about the medina in Marrakesh is that they allow vehicles--so there is a stifling aroma of incompletely combusted exhaust that is combined with the nudging on the backs of your legs from scooters and motorcycles that want you to hug the souk walls so that they can zoom by, the occassional car might even try to squeeze by a visitor, to the point that within minutes of entering the medina you are ready to sign the petition to make it a vehicle free zone.  Give me the 'Balack' and the donkeys any day!
Once one gets deeper into the medina, the impressive thing is how many people are making things with their hands.  Chess pieces are being whittled with an ingenious foot operated contraption, leather is being cut, boxes are being assembled and the list goes on and on.  I especially liked the tin work being done, and the spectacular lights that were being produced.  The art of making things with your hands is alive and well in Morocco.

The other thing that I liked was that while there are plenty of tourists mingled in the crowds, the medina is largely populated by locals, people who are there to do their shopping and are not there to ogle the craftsmen.
Goods are not the only thing to go to the medina for--there are food items to be had as well.  I bought some spice mixtures in Rabat and felt that I had enough in that exotic arena to last me once I got home,  but I never tired of seeing the mounds of spices piles high in front of shops that mixed and sold spice combinations--these are for show, but they are works of art.
In retrospect, I should have gotten more tassels while I was there--they are everywhere and very inexpensive, decorated with bits of metal, and very festive.  I have ceiling fans through out my house and could have them dangling from each of them--I left them for a return trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment