Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Wonder Woman (2017)

I have not been the devotee to the Marvel series that my offspring have, been I really enjoyed this movie.  One thing that is appealing to me is the link with ancient myths, which my children tell me is true to the Marvel narrative.  They aren't teaching any history lessons, as Wonder Woman is the Roman god of the hunt, Diana, but her brother is Ares, the Greek god of war.  Maybe Artemis didn't seem like all that sexy a name.  In any case, Diana is hidden away on an island with the Amazons and demonstrates what excellent homeschooling and strong female role models can do to develop a vibrant, confident adult superhero.  All is well until a WW I pilot pierces their island's invisibility cloak and Diana gets a glimpse of what is going on in the outside world.  She is convinced that her brother is to blame for the horrors that Europe is suffering under, and she defies Hippolyta who like all mothers would like to keep her charge out of harms way, and heads into battle.  She is the least complicated of superheros, unencumbered by guilt and brave in her pursuit of what is right.  An altogether enjoyable action movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment