Search This Blog

Sunday, March 20, 2022

Spiderman: No Way Home (2021)

My major beef with the Marvel Universe, besides that you have to keep up with it to have any chance of understanding the plot that is being woven in between the seemingly endless action sequences (thank goodness I just watched the last Spiderman so I knew allt he names and faces), is that they are just way too long. I just have trouble watching a nonstop action movie for 150 straight minutes. One review I read likened it to a comic book experience (which he thought was a good thing), which tells me once again that maybe the problem is that I just don't get it. The movie does do what Marvel has been altogether marvelous at, which is weaving characters and mythology from the other cinematic iterations of this character into the universe of the current one, which is not just a casting gimmick (although it does unite quite a fewgreat actors under one movie roof). The villains that return from other films don’t overcrowd the narrative as much as they speak to a theme that emerges in the film that ties this entire series back to the other ones. That is possibly bad news for the interloper into the Marvel Universe, but it has been a recipe for blockbuster success. Prepare to be dazzled. Or Dizzied. Or both.

No comments:

Post a Comment