Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 14, 2022

One Last Stop by Casey McQuiston

I picked this up because while it is a romance novel, it was also on the New York Times 100 Notable Books from 2021 list, so I thought that I would give it a whirl. I do not read much in the realm of romance novels, and spoiler alert, this book doesn't change that--there is just too much in the way of gratuitous sex mixed with equal parts unrealistic romantic expectations for my taste. I did, however enjoy aspects of this book, which is part science fiction and the romance is a lesbian one with a fair amount of gay culture as a backdrop, all of which are saving graces for me. The characters in the book are likable and the writing is breezy and casual, which I liked. August has moved to New York to transfer to her third college in as many years, and she is adrift and uncertain about just about everything. She has been raised by a single mother who is obsessed with finding her missing brother, who disappeared in 1973, and she has built her relationship with August around this quest. August lands in a good apartment share arrangement, a good part time job in a pancake restaurant, and she meets a woman she is wild about on the subway. I will say no more, except that this was enjoyable overall, and maybe more so if this is your genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment